Use any type of canned beans you happen to have on hand, and add rotisserie chicken or Italian sausage for a heftier dish, if you prefer. Or, omit the meat all together for a perfectly satisfying vegetarian dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
- 7 cups chopped kale
- 12 ounce package of your favorite gluten free chicken sausage
- 3 cans (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Heat a large stalk pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and fennel and sauté 6 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in 7 cups broth, kale, and sausage. Cook 5 minutes or until kale starts to wilt.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cans beans, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Put remaining 1/2 cup broth and 1/2 beans in a blender or food processer and process until smooth. Add pureed bean mixture to soup.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.