Last night I made pho soup and I had left over scallions and bean sprouts. So I decided to google recipes using both those ingredients. I combined a few recipes I found and made my own. It was actually quite delicious and very quick and easy to make!
Now remember I cook for one, sometimes two, so if you are cooking for a family or a group of friends I would highly recommend you double or triple the recipes.
½ cup uncooked white rice (or brown rice if you want to be healthier)
6 ounces chicken breast
1 2/3 cups bean sprouts
½ cup grape or cherry tomatoes
¾ cup white mushrooms
2 scallion springs, chopped
1 fresh garlic clove
1 teaspoon fresh ginger
5 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
oil for cooking
* chili sauce – I can not handle chili sauce but if you like it I would recommend adding it
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. Cut the chicken breasts into small strips approximately 1 ½ to inches long
3. In a large bowl mix the chicken with 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 tablespoon cornstarch (you can also use all purpose flour) and set aside
4. In a small bowl mix together 1 teaspoon sugar, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and the sesame seeds
5. Heat a wok or large pan. Add the garlic, ginger and cooking oil. Cook until the garlic turns golden. I used olive oil but I would have preferred to use sesame oil, if I had had it in my pantry.
6. Add in the chicken mixture and cook for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes flip the chicken and cook another minute.
7. Add the bean sprouts and mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes.
8. Add in the tomatoes, scallions and the mixture in the small bowl. Rinse the small bowl with a little water, about 1 or 2 tablespoons and add it to the wok.
9. Cook until the sauce thickens a little bit.
10.Serve hot with rice and enjoy!
I usually cook with rice vinegar, but I am out. If I had did have it, I would have added 1 or 2 teaspoons to the sauce.
This can easily be made into a vegetarian dish, just omit the chicken. Or you can sub with beef if that’s what you prefer!