I adopted this recipe from the one I found on Thai Kitchen’swebsite. By the way, Thai Kitchen has some great gluten free products.
This salad was a major hit at my friend Molly’s BBQ over the weekend. It was all eaten! This salad has a great kick to it, but no too spicy. The cucumber gives it a nice refreshing feel and crunchy taste. The hot sauce I used had hints of key lime mango and pomegranate give the chili sauce a nice sweet after taste. Plain hot sauce will work fine too, start with only two tablespoons and add more to suite your taste.
Spicy Lime Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice + 2 Tablespoons
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 – 3 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced thinly
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup chopped fresh Thai basil (I used regular Basil because that is what I grow in my garden)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (also fresh from the garden
1. For the Vinaigrette, mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Start with only ¼ cup lime juice and rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar and chili sauce. Add more as need to suite your taste. Set aside.
2. Bring large pot of water to boil. Add rice noodles; cook 5 minutes or until noodles are tender but firm.
3. Rinse under cold water and drain well. Place noodles in large bowl and let cool about 5 more minutes.
4. Add cucumber, carrots, slaw, basil and cilantro and mix well. Mix in the Vinaigrette and toss gently.
5. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors and serve cold or at room temperature.