Over the weekend I went to the Gluten Free Expo and picked up many many samples, including Pamela’s Baking & Pancake Mix. I decided to use it to make cupcakes. I was worried it would taste like pancakes, but it didn’t at all! Not only do these taste great and have half the amount of sugar and butter than most cupcakes, but they are super easy to make!
I adopted this recipe from one on Pamela’s website. I reduced the sugar and butter, and added more vanilla and almond extract.
3 eggs, separated
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons applesauce
2 cups Pamela’s Baking & Pancake Mix (any all purpose flour would do!)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup almond milk (can use soy or cows milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (1 teaspoon if you want it to have a more prominent almond flavor, this is what I did
Makes 12-14 cupcakes, or one 8-inch or 9-inch cake
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a pan with non-stick spray if making a cake.
2. Separate eggs, whip egg whips until stiff.
3. In a separate bowl, soften butter, add apple sauce, flour and sugar. Blend for 1 minutes on medium speed until the batter is smooth.
4. Add 1/4 cup of milk with the extracts, mix for 1 minutes on medium. Add remaining milk and the egg yolks. Mix together for 1 minutes. Fold in stiff egg whites. (It’s ok if they are not completely stiff, mine weren’t and it came out great)
5. If making cupcakes, use cupcake papers, it makes clean up easier
6. Fill cupcake tins 3/4 of the way to the top.
7. For cupcakes bake for 15 minutes. For cake bake 25 minutes.
8. Let cool in pan before removing it. Let cool completely before icing.
Tip: One way to reduce the amount of sugar in baking but keep its sweetness is to add extra vanilla extract.